Three months after I started this thing I am posting my return to blog. I am intending to try and post stuff over here that I am not going to be posting in Betty. Basically, because they do not pertain or because they are from my personal life and frankly not of interest to anyone really. Maybe this time I can actually keep up with this and improve my writing (as that is the intention of keeping this personal one).
Let's see... the days I have spent lately, have been some of the most rewarding of the past year or so as my projects seem to be progressing well and of course that makes me feel rather fulfilled. There are just so many things to work on that it gets a little overwhelming. However, I am starting to get a little better at the time management game. I still contend that if I could cut out school and the day job I would be so much further ahead. Shit, if I had those kind of hours to work on these things I wouldn't have to deal with turning everything that sounds fun down.
Time gets even more filled by the fact that I am dabbling in comic book writing which is something new to me. Although it is not that dissimilar to writing and storyboarding a film, I still get caught up in designing the layout of the pages and what exactly to show. You really have to simplify your shots when telling this story. Plus certain styles of film making I have not yet figured out how to translate to the page (or whether they should be at all). Overall, I think it is going to take a little time to get this new medium down (especially considering that I only started reading comics a little over a year or two ago.
I am ever so surprised at how much joy and fun I am having blogging over on Betty. It is more work than I thought, but I love almost every minute of it. Yesterday, I had to blush a little bit as my favorite comic book writer (someone I would one day love to hire to write a feature film) commented back on a post where I left some pretty fucking brutal comments about his DMZ comic. It happens to be one of my favorite things I have ever read (in comics and literature... fuck off... the story is right up my alley) but I have been detesting the last run of standalone issues. What he took question with is me stating that some of them are straight out of the headlines. He says that that isn't the case, but I disagree. I wish people could just admit they were inspired by something in the real world and felt the need to fictionalize it. I however understand the legal ramifications that may arise if someone that these issues may be based on finds out. Other than that, it is just fun writing about things that I care about. Sometimes I am a gushing super fan... others I can be quite a dick. It's just kind of an odd feeling when you were a dick about a property and the person behind it actually reads the review. Sure I am doing my "job" (I use that term loosely as until you are turning a profit it is merely a hobby... but then again we have no expenses so I guess we are breaking even), but it's still hard to slam something if you live under the assumption that a person put their heart and soul into something and it just didn't work for you. Oh well, I guess if you create things you have to be a big boy and be ready for the criticism. That aside, it is still hard to do sometimes. However, maintaining integrity and not being a blind fan because they may read what you wrote is important. It was truly hard and took a re-write to get my response to his response ready for posting as a lot of it turned into a gushing fan (which isn't bad except that it detracted from my point). Fact is, that is hard because of the love I have for the dude based on DEMO and DMZ. Anyways, moral of the paragraph is that I love writing over there. It doesn't hurt that I am writing with a great friend who is both a fantastic person and writer all rolled into one.
This brings me to a place in life where I lack fulfillment... reading. I have not really been able to sit down and read a book cover to cover in quite a while. Between working on my various projects, comics, the fiance, watching films and TV that I want to see (my first passion), and then adding in films I have to see for the blog (mostly for some upcoming feature that promise to be fun and require a lot of suffering of my own in order to bring the audience hopefully a little pleasure and get us a few more readers) I have had no time to read a book. I have made valiant efforts to start reading Homicide by David Simon and The Road by Cormac McCarthy, but both of them failed as soon as they began. Hopefully, in the near future I will have some free moments to fill with something that usually gives me so much satisfaction.
The last, but surely most important part of my life, is beautiful Caroline. My fiance and girl I will be with until the end of time. I could go on about how perfect she is forever, but that will have to wait until another time as I want to get out of the office and I could write about her for hours and hours and hours. I have never found such a perfect match for me and someone I truly want to spend the rest of my life with. Oh and she is a fantastic artist that only seems to be getting better and better as the days go by.
Well, for now, I am logging out. Maybe I can post something here again this evening and then a couple more tomorrow as the day progresses... and then keep on doing it.
Now I need to get home and get my post production test squared away, think of some articles (besides an Imaginationland review and maybe a review of the Zombies board game) for Betty, and get some work done for my productions. Till then... Over and out.
P.S. - That comment really was a thrill even if he didn't thank me for the ridiculously kind words I said beyond the harsh paragraph.
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment